Saturday, December 5, 2009

Another stellar match

So there we were, in a freshly formed 3v3 team ready for some epic battles. The gates open and our holy paladin (Naughtybits) goes oh shit I'm in my prot spec. This would matter less if our feral druid (Karial) had any gear at all and didn't die like a girl when anyone even looks at him. So we start the match with me advising Naughty to just use that silence hammer after our opening stunlock wears off and we would try and zerg down the healer and make it a short match. About halfway through my kidney shot on the priest, Karial starts complaining in vent why the fuck can't I kitty leap. No there was not a bug in the game, no he was not out of range, and finally he was indeed in line of the priest to leap. What could possibly be preventing this ability you ask Well after the priest died anyway (he must have been wearing greens) from just my mutilate spam he finally figured it out. He had remembered to switch to his feral gear but unfortunately not specs. You would be surprised how little damage you do in resto spec. Oh the joys of playing on a team that has had its MMR tanked into the 1200 bracket. It also helped that the team we played was 820 MMR. I honestly don't think I could lose that much and not delete the game from my computer.

After switching the correct specs for the next match we were able to bring our MMR out of the gutter and up to 1500 in just a few quick matches (yes I know that isn't hard but you should check out some of our gear). We won't be pushing Glad this season obviously but I could see us moving up into the upper 1800s as our paladin and feral druid learn what they are doing. It would probably also be beneficial if I wore resilience instead of massing armor pen but where is the fun in that!

So you've probably figured out at this point that I play a rogue, but in addition to this I arena as a holy paladin (roll face on flash of light) ret paladin (roll face on 4 damage abilities) and a priest which I've played S1-S5 and then retired due to being slighty bored with it. I currently play 2 rogues (one is a friend in the guilds who doesn't pvp much) to maximize the amount of friends and comps I can play which brings me to my point. You can play 2200+ and push for Gladiator and you can play 1200 and push for 1300 and have the same amount of fun as long as you're playing with other people you enjoy playing with. Winning is important and that's the good thing about Blizzard's MMR system it lets you play people near the level of skill your team has. Basically this allows the casuals to arena and the hardcore but what you don't see mentioned as much is the hardcore can enjoy playing with a casual or someone who just rolled a character because you get to meet somewhere in the middle. This lets one player enhance the team enough to win matches the other wouldn't have normally been capable of. Playing people that are better than you, but not ludicrously so helps you learn much more quickly. This also lets you play crazy comps for fun without worrying that losing the next match will prevent you from getting that coveted 2200 weapon or title.

No comments:

Post a Comment